This class is full. Please join our waiting list below.
STEM Skool's Middle School Global Studies class is an 8-week course in which 4th-8th grade students develop geography skills while discovering the many ways the Earth’s surface shapes and impacts world cultures.
In each lesson, students will use geographic tools such as thematic maps, photographs, remote sensing data, and graphs to explore life in South America, the Middle East, Northern Europe, Africa, and more.
Enrollment includes complimentary access to Exploring Earth: Middle School Earth + Space Science Online Class.
Available both as a textbook and as an interactive digital ebook.
Published: July 8, 2016
ISBN-13 : 9780076773855 | MHID : 007677385X
- Explore: At the beginning of each class, students will be invited to share the knowledge they have about the day’s topic and discuss questions that our conversation inspires.
- Engage: After discussing their own knowledge and experiences, students will explore photographs, writing samples, data sets, and maps.
- Explain: Using their own observations, readings, brief facilitator presentations, and group practice, students will work together to develop a deeper understanding of the day’s global studies topic.
- Elaborate: Students will apply their new knowledge to a lab, demonstration, or hands-on activity.
- Evaluate: At the conclusion of each class, we will discuss what we’ve learned from the day’s activities and how students can apply their new skills to their final projects.
Length: 8 weeks.
Effort: 1-2 hours per week.
Level: Middle School. 5th-8th grades.
Schedule: Fridays. 1 pm - 2 pm EST.
Microsoft SouthPark. Charlotte, NC.
Tuition: $139 per 8 week session.
Week 1: Geographers and Culture:
Week 2: Tools Lab:
Week 3: Natural Resources: African Trade Routes
Week 4: Erosion & Soil Depletion: Human Causes & Impacts
Week 5: Glaciers, Fjords, & Volcanoes: Icelandic and Norwegian Cultures
Week 6: Wetlands: Marsh Arab Culture
Week 7: Mountains: Andean Culture
Week 8: Detective Geographers: Final Projects Activity
STEM Skool, Inc. Refund Policy:
Tuition is non-refundable. No portion of tuition will be refunded in the event of absence, missed lessons, relocation, decision to withdraw, or dismissal from STEM Skool. Future monthly payments may be cancelled upon written notice of withdrawal from STEM Skool.
How long is this class?
This class meets for 1 hour per week for 8 weeks. Our first class meets on Friday, September 27th, and our last class is on Friday, November 15th. Our Winter session will begin on January 10, 2020.
Where does this class meet?
This class meets at the SouthPark Microsoft Store, located at 4400 Sharon Road Charlotte, NC 28211.
How many students are in each class?
This class accepts 8-12 students per session.
Is the textbook required?
The textbook is highly recommended but is not required. We recommend that students invest in the Glencoe iScience Earth and Space Science textbook. Important readings describing geological topics covered in this class will come from the text and will align with topics covered in both STEM Skool Middle School Earth + Space Science and STEM Skool Middle School Science + Engineering.
Is there a sibling discount for this class?
No, we do not offer a sibling discount for this class.
P.O. Box 11571 Charlotte, NC 28209
+1 (704) 753-8325